The Old CWS Buildings, Meadow Lane, Nottingham, NG2 3HQ
tel: 01159 868 883
email:
Nottingham Removal News

Are your pets safe in your own home?

Warning reading the list below may stop you filling your home with your favourite scents! You may not be aware, but there are many popular flowers that are actually quite poisonous to our favourite pets.


LILY
If you have cats, one plant you should never have in your house is lily, even in bouquets. Lilies can cause irreversible kidney failure. Even a few grains of pollen or drinking water from a vase that contains lilies can be fatal for your cat. Lilies are not toxic to dogs.

TULIP
The entire plant is problematic, but the highest concentration of toxins is in the tulip bulb. If ingested, tulips cause intense GI upset, drooling, loss of appetite, seizures, and cardiac abnormalities. Keep the bulbs away from pets when you’re planting your spring garden, and keep indoor potted tulips away from your pets.

CYCLAMEN
Cyclamen is a plant that you may receive as a gift around Christmas or Valentine’s Day. It’s also grown as ground cover outdoors in warm climates. However, cyclamen contains toxic terpenoid saponins, especially in the root of the plant. Ingesting it may cause excess salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, heart irregularities, and even death in cats and dogs.

KALANCHOE
Kalanchoe is another frequently gifted plant that contains toxins that produce serious GI distress, as well as abnormal heart rhythms in both dogs and cats.

AMARYLLIS
If your cat or dog ingests any of this beautiful plant or bulb, the toxins of the amaryllis can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and tremors.

PEACE LILY
Peace lily is a popular low-maintenance houseplant with beautiful glossy leaves and white spoon-shaped flowers. But peace lily plants contain calcium oxalate crystals that cause oral irritation, drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongues of cats and dogs who ingest it.

7
CHRYSANTHEMUM
This seasonal favorite contains many different toxins, including pyrethrins, which can cause GI upset, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. If large enough quantities of mums are ingested, cats and dogs also may develop loss of coordination and depression.

DAFFODIL
This spring flowering bulb, also called narcissus, is in the same family as amaryllis. Daffodils can cause a long list of symptoms including vomiting, low blood pressure, convulsions, and cardiac issues. The bulbs are the most poisonous part.

SWEET PEA
Sweet peas may be lovely springtime flowers, but they can be deadly to cats and dogs if ingested. These flowers contain aminopropionitrile, which can cause weakness, lethargy, seizures, and death.

OLEANDER
Oleander is a popular landscape shrub in warm climates. However, its leaves and flowers contain toxic cardiac glycosides, which cause abdominal pain, drooling, depression, severe vomiting, and even death.

HYACINTH
Hyacinths are beautiful spring bloomers which are part of the lily family, so they contain alkaloids that cause intense vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and tremors if ingested by cats or dogs.

AUTUMN CROCUS
This is usually a landscape plant, not a gifted plant. But if you do grow autumn crocus, make sure to keep pets away from the bulbs and the plant. Ingesting any part of this flower can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, shock, and multi-organ damage in both cats and dogs.

For more information on our removals in Nottingham, call Big Red Movers today on: 01159 868 883

Click here read our customer reviews... Click here read our latest news...
Find Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Cookies

This website uses cookies. Please let us know if you agree to the use of these cookies :
I Accept I Decline

3rd Party Data Processors | Disable Cookies
Cookies